Tuesday, July 29, 2008

From the Hammock to the Desk

I spent a week at Tybee Island off the coast of Georgia (near the gorgeous city of Savannah)-- and I'm just getting back to work. Although-- this was a first-- the beach house was wireless, so I kept up with email between watching the shore birds and wading out to watch the dolphins.

I'm in the middle of Susan Choi's A Person of Interest. I'll have more to say about this wonderful novel when I've read the last page. All I can say now: Choi is a writer of enormous talent.

I finished reading Augusten Burroughs' Running with Scissors and Dry. Scissors especially is one of those fascinating memoirs you tear through, thinking, how did this kid survive his family? Dark, funny, honest, shocking. Not since Jeannette Walls' The Glass Castle, have I been so absorbed in a harrowing life story.

More later this week. Got lots of writing and revising to do. Not to mention a harvest of tomatoes and peppers to gather and a new batch of weeds to thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker