Friday, December 14, 2007

Picks and Pans


The Golden Compass is one of my favorite fantasy novels. Not since I read A Wrinkle in Time (in fifth grade) or 1984 (in high school) have I felt so transported into a "parallel" world. Too bad the movie felt rushed and jumpy, and if I hadn't read the book, I'd still be lost somewhere in the Arctic Circle. If you haven't yet read the novel-- or the His Dark Materials trilogy-- I'd skip the film.

Reading right now: The March by E.L. Doctorow, about Sherman's march through the South. I'm a great admirer of Doctorow's ability to weave skillful, moving portraits of historical figures-- who appear as fully-realized characters-- in his fiction. Or, as Publisher's Weekly puts it, his "gift for getting into the heads of a remarkable variety of characters, famous or ordinary."

I also recommend The War Of Art for any writer (or artist). Written by screenwriter and author Steven Pressfield (Legend of Bagger Vance), it's the testereone-charged, kick-ass version of The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing The War of Art to my attention. Just reading the blurbs and ratings for this book on amazon has given me a much needed dose of inspiration. I can't wait to get my own copy!

    ReplyDelete

eXTReMe Tracker