Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Good News


Good news may be hard to find...but it's there if you look for it.


Putting the Bug Outside

Serendipity, good souls, new recordings from the late George Harrison's songs, and an animal sanctuary. Here's an article from today's NYT about a tribute to the late George Harrison, which will help support a home for abused farm animals in upstate New York. One of my favorite quotes:

“He was the kind of guy who always put the bug outside,” Ms. Harrison said in a telephone interview from England. “He never stomped on an ant or a spider.”
Zen in Action

And here's a personal essay from the Modern Love column in Sunday's NYT that describes Zen, with a capital Z, in action.

“I don’t love you anymore. I’m not sure I ever did.” What would you do if your spouse/significant other calmly announced those words? Throw the nearest crystal vase? [You never liked it anyway...an old wedding present.] Plunder the cutlery drawer? Max out his credit card? Make an appointment with a bad ass lawyer? How about...nothing.

Fascinating and encouraging to see how the author Laura Munson describes nonresistance, not reacting to ego, acceptance of events out of her control, and taking responsibility for her own happiness strengthened--perhaps saved-- her marriage. An excerpt from "Those Aren't Fighting Words, Dear":
You see, I’d recently committed to a non-negotiable understanding with myself. I’d committed to “The End of Suffering.” I’d finally managed to exile the voices in my head that told me my personal happiness was only as good as my outward success, rooted in things that were often outside my control. I’d seen the insanity of that equation and decided to take responsibility for my own happiness.

3 comments:

  1. wow, I am going through that this very moment. For the 2nd time in 2 years. I basically did what she talked about, the first time around. I can't do it again, the kids can't do it again. Thank you for sharing that article. I am absolutely taking control of my own happiness, this time around I just cannot allow him back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I think sometimes the best, most peaceful solution is removing yourself from the dysfunction... not to get drawn in the drama--and that might very well mean not letting him back in. Good luck this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Former vp Gore has a Masters of Divinity. seem on the case he has made and how he has sought after himself, because of the fact he has pursued his hobby. You do the comparable, regardless what others say you may or can't do.

    Dalrymple's Sales Management test bank & solutions manual

    ReplyDelete

eXTReMe Tracker