Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pulpwood Queens Book Club Selection



When I find myself sitting on a panel or talking to book clubs, the quickest way to liven up the crowd is to tell everyone about the Pulpwood Queens Book Club. It's the brainchild of Kathy Patrick, who owns Beauty and the Book, the only combined bookstore and hair salon in the country. It's in Texas, where everything is bigger-- you know, the higher the hair, the closer to Jesus. And it's break-out-the-bubbly to have your book selected for the largest "meeting and discussion" book club in the country: 239 Pulpwood Queen Book Club chapters from coast to coast.
My first novel, THE GARDEN ANGEL, was a Pulpwood Queens selection, and I was thrilled to get to actually go there, to Jefferson, Texas, on my paperback tour. There, after a cover-dish dinner, surrounded by Redkin products and a fun group of women, I signed copies of my book. In a hair dryer chair. Wearing a tiara [which I got to keep, by the way.]

Kathy wrote The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life about how reading, books, and authors have been a godsend in her life. She is a tireless crusader for adult literacy, too. I've blogged previously about her book here, and my fun and memorable experience with the Pulpwood Queens here.

Now that SECRET KEEPERS has been included as a Pulpwood Queens selection for August, I'm rejoicing all over again. It's a big, hairy deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker