Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter Confections


One of the good things about January is the winter confections.
<---This is a fountain last night  in front of the historical hotel a few blocks away from where I live. A cake...spun sugar...crystal sculpture?  Jack Frost is quite the artist.

And speaking of  the Frost family,  Robert is quite the poet, especially about winter.

I was stunned at age 12 to learn the quiet soothing beauty of Robert Frost's poem Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening is about contemplating suicide...and deciding to hang in there.



The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


When the night woods are dark and deep, I peruse seed catalogs, plant some indoor narcissus bulbs [they'll shoot up and bloom and fill the air with perfume], and read. Also take pictures of winter confections.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful and clever. Jack and Robert. One of my all time favorite poems too. Hauntingly beautiful. Fantastic photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carol. One of the advantages of my iphone is the mobile camera!

    --Mindy

    ReplyDelete

eXTReMe Tracker