Monday, January 11, 2010

Writing the Mind


"I'm a stenographer of my mind. I write down what passes through it, not what goes on around me. I'm a poet."  --Allan Ginsberg
 
Writing down what passes through mind-- I really like that. I recognize the truth of it.

The Best Writing Tips Ever , an article by Amy Hertz in the the Huffington Post sums up Allan Ginsberg's favorite quotes--some of them his own-- illustrating that,  "In both meditation and in writing, Allen tried to help students learn to watch their mind and express their thoughts spontaneously in order to tap the spring of creativity that produced Ginsberg's greatest work."

 A few of Ginsberg's own gems:

"Notice what you notice."

 "Catch yourself thinking. "

"Observe what's vivid."


"Well while I'm here I'll
Do the work--and what's the Work?
To ease the pain of living.
Everything else, drunken
dumbshow."

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker